Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Our House

What a week we had. We were gone last week house-hunting. It was quite a roller-coaster ride. I bet we looked at at least 30 houses. It was tough because this was pretty much the only week we could buy a house. Eric's schedule is chaotic, this was it. We had to buy a house THIS WEEK.


We finally found a house on Wednesday and decided to place an offer on Thursday. Well, we weren't in any rush, as far as we knew no one else was lined up to buy the house, so we visited a church first, then the school.


I wasn't crazy about this house. It was cute on the outside, had a nice level lot, beautiful grass, my husband loved it. But I didn't feel like the interior was functional for our family. I even woke up at 3:20 a.m. the morning we were going to make an offer, and I just couldn't go back to sleep. My mind kept turning and going, trying to figure out where we'd put our furniture, our stuff, I'd have to buy more furniture to make that dining room look nice, my red vases wouldn't go anywhere, there was no fire place, didn't have sidewalks on our side of the street, and on and on. It just didn't feel right, but I figured it would do. We'd figure it out.


So. After the visit to the church and school, we drove over to place an offer and got a call that the house sold. We were at a complete loss. I really thought Eric was going to break down. But for some reason, I wasn't really upset at all. I just knew things would work out.


We headed back to the realtor's office to start over. We ended up coming across this one house we saw when we made a quick visit back in October. I remember loving the interior, but the exterior...well...


Okay, it had a nice level lot, sidewalks on both sides, was in a great location. BUT....

Yep. It's BLUE. Actually it's "Ivy Green." And it really is pretty and cute and unique, but ALL the other houses on the street are neutral. You know, white, beige, cream...

We'll be known as The People In The Blue House. It'll be great. We'll order pizza for delivery, or have new friends over and tell them we live on Such and Such street, just look for the blue house. Can't miss it. And even better, we'll have our bright yellow Hawkeye flag hanging proudly off the front somewhere. Weeee.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm really really glad we got this house. I absolutely LOVE the inside, and all our furniture will work great in there. It's cozy and cute, it has a front porch, and the quality of the craftsmanship is outstanding. I'm happy!

We move in just 36 days...I've got a lot of work to do haha!

6 comments:

Heth said...

YAY!

Tracey said...

I love the house. The front porch looks so welcoming!! and the stone front is great too!!

His Girl said...

what a lovely house! congrats!

Still Learning said...

But until last year, you were always the people in the blue house! It reminds me of your original house except with beautiful brick/rock work. I love it! I just know you will feel right at home!!!

P.S. did you call yet? You need to follow through before you move!

Truth said...

Thirty-six days!!! Wow, that is so soon. Hey, a big blue house, sounds like fun.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Oh, I think it's darling! I like the blue!

Don't you just love it when you're uncomfortable with a decision you've made, then the Lord works it so that the decision can't possibly work? Then he provides you with something better! I'm so happy for you!