Monday, March 24, 2008

Another Question Answered!

I always get kind of nervous posting Biblical/Scriptural/God stuff because I'm still learning and still have a LOT to learn, but I get those "a-ha! moments" and think it's just so wonderful that I want to tell the world about it! So, if I misunderstand something, or say it wrong, I'd love to be gently corrected!

Anyway...

I love love love when this happens. Another question answered! For the past couple weeks (really since I've started that Isaiah Bible study) I've been thinking about holiness. I see a lot of Mennonite and Amish women here, and I do admire that they don't conform to the world. And I had been wondering if they are holier than me. I've been wondering what it means/looks like to be holy. I know "holy" means to be "set apart." So that's why I was wondering if those ladies were holier, because they are definitely setting themselves apart. Just this morning I was even talking to Heth about it.

Well, right now I'm doing my Isaiah homework, and I tell you what, Kay Arthur took us to Colossians 3:5. (Remember I'm studying ISAIAH, not Colossians)

BINGO!!! The whole chapter is about holy living!!! I LOVE it when that happens!

As I sit here trying to type out vs. 5 I realize that the whole chapter, chapter 3, says it all. Not just verse 5. I'll list it out. Put to death whatever belongs to my earthly nature (oh man!) like: sexual immorality; impurity; lust; evil desires and greed; anger; rage; malice; slander; filthy language; lying to each other; since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed inknowledge in the image of its Creator. There is no Grekk or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. (that was a sort of summary of verses 5-11).

But I really love this part (quoting the rest of Colossians 3:12-17 and by the way those italics are my own emphasis because those are parts that really really speak to me),

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Oh man, I need to read all that every day many many times a day. Maybe I should copy it down and tape it all over the house, like on my bathroom mirror, near the kitchen sink, on the T.V. and computer for sure.
Anyway, I just love it when God answers my questions like that.
So going back to those Amish and Mennonite women. Are they holier than me? Only God knows what's in their hearts. I need to quit comparing myself to them and listen to what God is telling me and DO IT. Oh man I know I'll mess up, and I'm so thankful that my salvation does not depend on living a perfect life. But how awesome it is to hear the Word, believe it, and let it change my life. I hope I said that right, I hope that makes sense...I hope you know what I mean.

9 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Sounds FANTASTIC to me!! :) God is forever answering my questions...all without getting annoyed with me...amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!

marine's words said...

THese is good I love moments like that when God is speaking to you!!
And you are on to something, and I have wounder about the Amish they are so set apart!! I feel bad that they can turn away form the things of these world and we can't. But that is why God did come to set us free form the law, but have we gone too far?? you are on too something.marina

PJ said...

You're soooo right. I come from a similar background (not one of those two), and being able to see what you have just understood is difficult and shows maturity. We must learn not to compare and judge by seeing. One of my favorite scriptures is:

2 Corinthians 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

And I need to be reminded again from time to time. Thanks!

Tina said...

I love how excited you get about learning about God and all He shows you. It is contagious and it spreads to me when I read your blog.

Thank you for sharing!!!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Well, don't forget that often those who look holy are only so because they lead lives filled with legalism.

Holiness is one of those difficult concepts, IMO. We so often expect it to be something that we can feel, but I think there are very few of us who could ever claim to truly feel holy. It's hard sometimes to comprehend that we're holy simply by the sacrifice of Christ and following him. Seems like there should be so much more to it!

I've taught the youth group on holiness before, and it's a tough subject to teach, mostly because I never really feel worthy enough to be teaching others about it. But that just goes back to the human nature of expecting to feel things when they happen. I think people would make better choices and lead easier lives if we just reminded ourselves frequently that we are holy and set apart as Christians. It's far too easy to forget that and get sucked into the things of the world.

His Girl said...

When God just answers a question so quickly in His word, it just feels like love letter from Him just for you, don't you think?

GREAT post!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Ann,
You have stated this beautifully! I think you understand it perfectly!

Truth said...

Wow, I don't know what happened. I posted a long response to this post, but I don't see it now. I wonder what happened.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your Aha moments. God is faithful! I love hearing how God speaks and works in your life.

Still Learning said...

Thank you for sharing! I love learning from you! What a blessing you are! I'll be calling Shelley soon!