Monday, March 17, 2008

Taming My Tongue

I joined a Bible study, and I'm really excited about it. It's a precepts study by Kay Arthur, and it's on the book of Isaiah. Each day I do as much cleaning as I can in the morning, because after I take Ethan to afternoon kindergarten, I put Emily down for a nap. And then, it's just me and God. I love it and really look forward to my quiet time with Him.

Yesterday my lesson really spoke to me. I'm on Isaiah 6, the chapter where Isaiah sees God sitting on a throne with the train of His robe filling the temple. Isaiah says, "Woe is me, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts."

That unclean lips part really hit me. And I learned a lot about what my lips have to do with sin. I learned that out of the overflow of my heart my mouth speaks (Matthew 12:34b). The things that come from my mouth come from my heart (Matthew 15:18). Anytime I gossip, exaggerate the truth, use a nasty tone with my kids or husband, what does that say about my heart? And what does that say about how I feel about God?

Now, Isaiah had seen the Lord. He knew that because of his sin he should die. But Isaiah recognized his sin and confessed it, so God forgave him.

God knows that I am not perfect. His Word says, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check (James 3:2)." I recognize that the things I say and the way that I say them reflects what's in my heart and can be hurtful to others. I want Jesus to live in me and the words I say to be good and bring life. So I ask the Lord to forgive me, to come into my heart, and help me tame my tongue. I have a feeling He is saying, "Why Andrea, I'd be delighted!." Because I also learned that I'm His beloved.

Wow I love this Bible study!

7 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Sounds like an awesome study! Tomorrow night, my Ladies study is starting "Seeking Him" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss...I'm so excited, I know God wants revival in all of us!...Everything really is a heart issue, like you said, whatever spits out of my mouth is really whats in my heart...yikes! Thank you for sharing, it was the reminder I needed to hear!

Still Learning said...

I learn so much from you Andrea....Ed just did a whole semester of self study on Isaiah. But you bring it to current life! I wish you just lived down the street again!!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Sounds like a great study! I prefer bible studies that focus on a book of the bible, rather than a topic. And Isaiah is a tough one to tackle!

marina said...

ann, it was bad you should watch cnn Obama preacher made bad statements about America being a white america,and use the lords name in vain it was so bad Obama had to come out today and make a public statemeant,Even Pat Robison said these was bad for a man who is running for presdient.Look at your news cnn or Foxcnn they are all talking about it! like I said I don't like to get potical but it was just all over the news and some christans may not be aware of these ,since then his pastor is no longer his pastor he has step down but said would still be his friend .marina

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Ann,
I love the passion you have for studying God's Word. I love it when God's word forces me to deal with the tough things, "like MY tongue", you have said it so well.

Tina said...

It sounds like a great study. That's awesome that you are doing Kay Arthur!

PJ said...

I love the book of Isaiah! Sounds like a terrific study. God will use these women to build confidence in you to fulfill his purposes in your life! I'm sure of that!