Friday, March 7, 2008

Small World

It's such a small world. I love it when things like this happen. Owen has strep throat again (that's not the cool part). He had all his "signature symptoms" and so I took him in. When the doctor was ready to write the prescription I explained that Owen does better with pills rather than liquids or chewies (for some reason they make him gag and then he throws up. Poor buddy!).

Anyway, the doctor prescribed amoxicillin caplets and explained the dosage which I was pretty familiar with. The only thing is, I did not agree with the prescription this time. It seemed way way too high. I explained that and then when it was all said and done decided to just trust the doctor because I am not a doctor myself. But when I got home, I still called my mom, left a message with Patty, and researched on the internet. It just wasn't settling with me. The internet was telling me this doctor's dosage was way way way too high, like double that of an adult.

Here's the cool part.

I decided to call the clinic where my kids went to before all this moving started. I loved that doctor and her nurse, I trust them completely and miss them TERRIBLY. But I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do, since my kids haven't been patients there for two years, well, one year and 3 months. But I still called.

I explained my dilemma to the receptionist and even asked her if it was appropriate for me to call since we aren't patients anymore, but she said she'd try and see if anyone was available. I was put on hold, and then someone picked up the line. I asked if she was a nurse. She said she was a registered nurse. I explained that my name is (first name last name) and my son Owen was a patient there until we moved.

She interrupted me and asked if I was the same (first name last name) that taught at (name of school). I said, 'Yessss...." And she said, "I'm (name of daughter)'s mom! You had my daughter in second grade, as a matter of fact in the very same year you had Owen!!" I completely remembered her!

It was so cool! What a small world! It was so nice to talk to her. I had her daughter when she was in second grade. Now she is in TENTH grade! Oh man that makes me feel old. Not really.

But anyway, what a cool deal. And, I found out that even though this whole prescription thing was not how our former doctor would have done it, it still won't hurt Owen. Whew!

The really best part is that by this time tomorrow, my Owen will be feeling a gazillion times better.

7 comments:

marine's words said...

Ann what a story!! wow!! love it!
How is you bible study coming along?
thanks for the post and I wanted to say but I forgot as my son hug me and I felt his love I left God's love if I love my son that much how much more does he love us!
blessing ,marina

Still Learning said...

I didn't tell you. But the week we move here. Leah got into the box of cleaners and possibly got some in her eye. B was in the shower and I just put her in with him to wash out the eye....guess who I called because I didn't agree with poison control? They have a great office. I'd pay out of network or pocket for their advice! Luke and I are praying for Owen to feel lots better in the morning!
Patty

Heth said...

What a cool story.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Sorry your kiddo is so sick! But that really is neat that the nurse made that connection with you on the phone!

And if it makes you feel any better, most of my former students have already graduated from college.

His Girl said...

cool 'coincidence'!

the worst/best part of being a teacher is that the longer you teach the more hundreds of children out there just waiting to make you feel old there are. happens to me all the time. The first class I ever taught are all about 24 now.... of course I totally think I AM 24, but apparently not. boo!

PJ said...

Great to know that some Dr's offices still treat patients (and Moms) as though they were human. (I happen to have a great one!!) And yes, this world is very small!!

Truth said...

That is cool! I check with the pharmicist when I have a concern. It is fast and they are good at that sort of thing. I've even had ours ask me about the age/weight of a child when he was filling it out as he wanted to make sure it wasn't overkill.