Monday, September 24, 2007

Grossed Out Beyond Belief

We have sliding doors that lead out to the backyard. Emily loves to look out the windows and watch her brothers play. In the track of those sliding doors is a variety of dead flies and beetles. I know there were at least four in there. Why hadn't I cleaned them out of there earlier? Good question, because just now, Emily ATE THEM.

The worst part was that even though the bugs were dead, I was too creeped out to put my fingers in her mouth to remove any leftovers. I said, "Acky! Acky!" and opened my mouth up wide and said, "Ahhhhhh" to try to get her to do it. She chewed for a moment then just smiled at me. I saw a bit of a beetle on the floor next to her. I just couldn't get up the nerve to put my fingers in her mouth and see if she still had some in there. So I went to the kitchen sink and filled a little cup of water up, thinking I'd "drown" them out (if they were still in there) kind of like you'd wash your eye out, you know, when you get something in your eye and pour water over it? Yeah, I thought that'd work. But instead, Emmy just happily sucked on the rim of the cup and managed to take a couple of good swallows of water.

She's fine. She's happily playing with her toys. She didn't gag or choke or anything. My boys never did this, so naturally I'm appalled.

4 comments:

melanie said...

awww!! our son ate a live cricket once, i came in the room to see the legs kicking between his lips. wait till you tell her husband someday that his bride ate beetles!

Heth said...

She's an insectivore for sure.

Truth said...

LOL, my Elisabeth did this with a spider and I was pretty creeped out too. I would have expected it from my son, but my daughter???

Still Learning said...

Maybe Fear Factor is in her future!