Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Library Books

Each Tuesday is Library Day at school for both the boys. Ethan's latest trend is to bring home I Spy books. Those are fun and we look at them together in the mornings before I take him to afternoon kindergarten.

Owen, just like the second graders I used to teach, is really into bringing home the absolute biggest fattest books he can find. This doesn't bother me because I know that the books he reads in class are developmentally appropriate, and we have zillions of second grade level books here at the house.

Last week he brought home a gigantic book on World War II. Not quite sure why that would be available for school children, but I do understand the cool feeling a kid has from carrying around a really huge book. I personally never carried huge books around, but I do remember in 5th grade checking out the exact same book over and over again during my library time. I believe it was called The Strawberry Girl and I have no clue who the author was. I never read it, not even one word, but I checked it out time and again because I loved the crinkly plastic cover protector on it. It was in mint condition, no tears or rips because obviously no one else had checked it out, and it made a nice crinkly sound. The pages had that "old book" smell. And I liked the inside cover even more, because it was decorated with strawberries from margin to margin. I kept it on the corner of my desk. I just might look into finding a copy of it and reading it someday.

Well, anyway, I picked the kids up from school today and checked their backpacks as usual for any homework assignments, notes, etc. My conversation with Owen went like this:

"Oh, it was Library Day today. Your backpack is heavy. I see you got another huge book. What's it called?"

"I dunno."

"Well, what's it about?" (I looked at the cover and saw that it said The Americas. A history book. Boring. (but I didn't say that to Owen).

Then very matter of factly, with a hint of a "You might be interested in this book mom" tone in his voice he said,
"But it has a naked lady in it."

I couldn't help but giggle just a little little bit. Every kid discovers those books. This was a history book with topless Native Americans (who actually looked more like chubby naked Europeans with lily white skin, that's just how old this book was).

I said something like, "Yep, those are Native Americans. It looks like those particular women didn't wear shirts." I tried to have an "Oh, big deal" kind of attitude about it.

I asked Owen if that's why he checked that book out. Of course he said no, and then asked if he could have a snack.

4 comments:

Heth said...

Nudie, nudie, nudie!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Still Learning said...

You did not read Strawberry Girl? You don't know about Birdie? I was just talking to my sister about the Lois Lenske's books when we went to our birthtown this weekend. My allergy to rivers will prevent me from realizing my childhood dream of living on a house boat (just like Birdie.) BOO HOO!

(The cellephane book covers where a plus!)

Truth said...

Oh, so cute. I don't recall doing that as I was too into reading. But my son used to check out what I consider "strange" books for a child. I never considered their size. (or nakedness, lol._

Anonymous said...

Yep, it was at about this age that I had what I call the "Penneys Catalog" incident with your brother!! I still snicker every time I think about it.

mom