Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm in Trouble

Well. The other day Owen lost another tooth. And the Tooth Fairy forgot again. Owen kept running through all the reasons why the Tooth Fairy didn't come, naming various things he'd done that day that were naughty or disobedient, etc...thinking it was his own fault that the Tooth Fairy hadn't come.


I felt really bad about it, trying to reassure him that it wasn't his fault. He just wouldn't accept it, so finally I told him the truth about the Tooth Fairy and then gave him his dollar. He was shocked and I think even a little heart broken. I told him that he could still put his teeth under his pillow and we'd still give him money. It's just that I felt bad lying to him about it.


Fast forward to tonight. The boys had been in bed for a good half hour. Ethan was even asleep. Eric and I were in the main living room watching t.v. All of a sudden from at the top of the stairs we heard Owen ask, "Is Santa Claus real?" Eric and I looked at each other. I mean Eric gave me a look of death and then said to Owen, "We'll talk about it tomorrow. You need to go to bed." Owen wasn't satisfied, "But I want to know now. Is Santa Claus real?" Eric and I both answered at the same time, "What do you think?" Owen said in a disappointed voice, "No, since the Tooth Fairy isn't real."


Yeah, I'm in trouble.

3 comments:

Still Learning said...

Of course he's real!! He helps Mom and Dad relive the excitement of our childhood.

Soon our boys will have the ability to feel the true Joy of the birth of His Lord! I miss the candle light services at M.O.!!

Truth said...

Oh yes, big trouble. I remember in kindergarten when the teacher told us "of course the Easter Bunny is not real." I was crushed. So much so, that I never told my kids there was a tooth fairy or easter bunny or santa. I just told them if they put their tooth under their pillow they'd get a suprise.

Heth said...

Mean old Mom.

HA!