Sunday, November 11, 2007

10-20-30

This is a meme going around. I thought it'd be fun to reflect.

10 years ago, I was in my second year of teaching second grade. Eric and I were living in our dinky apartment, and we still had that really awesome green couch. Eric was an underwriter. That summer, we had taken a vacation to Yellowstone, since we weren't able to go on a honeymoon because Eric had to work. Was 1997 a big year for Star Wars? I can't remember if we spent any time waiting in line for something Star Wars that year...


20 years ago, I was a freshman in high school. I still remember what I wore my first day! A yellow shaker sweater with white shorts and white moccasin-type shoes. I had a perm, short and kinda curly. I was really into teal and royal blue colored mascara and shimmery pink lipgloss. I was just starting freshman basketball, good ol' six-on-six 20 years ago at this time. I didn't have a boyfriend but had a huge crush on Troy Moats, this guy in my French class. I think he's an optometrist now? I ended up going to prom that year with a trumpet player I made friends with in band. I remember he was very outgoing. I was super shy. I loved loved loved my freshman science class, especially studying microfossils.


30 years ago, I was five! I'm not sure if I was in kindergarten yet. But I do remember kindergarten. I remember Pooh Corner, this little reading nook the teacher made. My favorite thing was to sit in there and read. I was already reading independently in kindergarten, I have no idea why. Must have been Sesame Street and Electric Company, plus the fact that my mom read to us a lot. I remember my kindergarten reading book, it was called "Hellicopters and Gingerbread Men." I remember telling my teacher that I wanted her to call me "Pepper" instead of Andrea. She told me that wouldn't work, because then she'd have to call my brother "Salt." I remember kindergarten had a play-kitchen and dress-up area. I never liked to play kitchen or house or dress-up. I liked the little balance beam she had set up in the room.


My favorite season in life so far has been right now. Being married to Eric, having our kids, taking care of them, being involved in our church. I love it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe our trip was in 1996 the year after we got married :) In 1997 the Star Wars Special eddition came out. That's the one where I waited in line all day in January. Very cold....

Still Learning said...

Pepper and salt -- how funny! I bet you were such a great teacher because of your wonderful memory!

Hey anonymous! where's your blog?
Didn't you used to have one?

His Girl said...

I could tell we were the same age without doing the math! How? Come on! Electric Company? Pretty much the best show ever!

I also think this is the best season of my life so far... but wowee I can't believe how fast the years have flown by! Am I the only one who feels it couldn't possibly have been 20 years since 1997???

enjoying your blog! I'll be back for more!

Truth said...

I can't believe you remember what you wore your first day of high school. Must have been a big day for you to have kept that memory alive.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Interesting stuff!

And yes, 1997 was a big year for Star Wars. That's the year I started dating my hubby, and yet, I seem to recall seeing Star Wars in the theater with another guy, so I guess that was a few months earlier.

I didn't like Electric Company. At all. But my next-door neighbor watched it every day.

Troy said...

Bonjour Andre'

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to NPR and they were talking about 47% of the population "Googling" themselves. So, I get to work and try it. I expected to see my name show up for my practice (je suis optometriste) Wow...what a surprise! Looks like things are going well for you! Merry Christmas.

Ann said...

Troy! Okay at first I was super embarrassed that you read that haha! But I hope you got a good chuckle out of it. I did realize though that anyone who does a google search to find your practice is going to see my blog entry. That could be embarrassing for you! I'll edit it so that your name isn't in it, we'll see if that works.

But we're doing well here :) We're getting ready to move again for my husband's work. Hopefully we won't have to move for quite awhile. It's great to see you're doing well too! And Merry Christmas to you too! :)
~Andrea