Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bearing the Shame

It's been a busy day. Just today I've had the drywall guy come in and sand where he touched up different areas of the house, the garage door guy came to repair the garage door after I back into it while it was still halfway down, and then the appraiser came to measure and take pictures of the house so we can get it on the market.

It's so wierd. What do you do when you have people working in your house? Do you follow them around? Watch t.v.? Check email? Read? Is it okay to eat in front of them if they are there over lunch time? I've had to leave countless strangers alone in my house while I either run Ethan to school or pick both the boys up when school is over (and for at least a half hour at that, 15 minutes there, 15 minutes home).

Well, something interesting happened today while the appraiser was here. I was holding Emily, and we were watching what was going on behind our house. They built a new home, and a guy was running a little bulldozer thing all over the lot to smooth out the dirt. Not so interesting, I guess, but it was cool to see him turn instantly at a 90 degree angle with that thing.

I stood there holding Emmy for a good 20 minutes or so, watching the bulldozer go back and forth. As I was sort of spacing off and trying to figure out how he turned so quickly, I just kind of sort of passed gas in a really big loud smelly way. I didn't think much of it (I come from a gassy family. Our motto is "It's better to bear the shame than bear the pain." You've heard that before, haven't you?) Then I heard "beep beep" coming from upstairs. It was the appraiser's special measuring tool. I forgot the appraiser was there! And the way sound bounces around in this house, I'm sure he heard me. Almost certain he smelled me.

He came downstairs and commented on how cute and smelly (I mean smiley) Emily was, asked how old she is, etc. all the while I was trying with everything in me to NOT bust out laughing.

5 comments:

Heth said...

That is the best story ever.

The quote cracks me up too.

Truth said...

You should have blamed it on the baby.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Ah, "Truth" beat me to it--I was going to say you didn't blame poor little Emily, did you? Now, I did not put together that you and Heth are related until this post. (Tell me ... what is she really REALLY like??? :) ) I think she's awesome. I visit her just about every day.

His Girl said...

Absolutely fabulous post. i'll be back for more... well done! (still giggling)

Still Learning said...

What a professional!!!