Monday, November 19, 2007

Got My Bird!

And I went big! As I was putting that little 10 pounder in my cart, I felt like we wouldn't have much for leftovers, and I want LEFTOVERS. With this lovely little 16.48 pounder in my fridge currently thawing, I think we'll have leftovers.

I'm sitting in the van right now. Having an attached garage is a wonderful blessing. It's cold and awful outside, but relatively warm in the garage. I'm in the van because poor Emily has the most horrible cough/icky nose that any of my kids have ever had. She is sleeping so soundly in her car seat that I just couldn't wake her up and make her try to sleep while laying down. I'm taking her in to the doctor at 3:45. And I have to pick the boys up from school in 30 minutes, so why not ramble on a little?

When I announced that I got my bird, it took me back the last few years when I'd go turkey hunting with my dad in the spring. I didn't shoot the bird with a gun, that was dad's part. My part was to get it all on video camera. And I loved it.

Dad and I would march out into Uncle Joe's land at dark thirty in the morning. We'd go to our spot that dad took time to scope out (which always seemed to be the same spot). We'd get settled in, dad's gun and my camera ready to go.

It was so peaceful to see the colors pop out as the sun came up. We'd even get visits from various wildlife as we waited for the turkeys to come into view. More than anything, dad and I just love being out there, observing, taking it all in.

Dad would use his call and I'd sit as still and quiet as I possibly could, all decked out in camo. Before long, we'd get our bird.

It has always been hard for me to observe the kill, but it helps to know that my dad isn't out there hunting for a trophy. I grew up eating pheasant, duck, goose, deer, rabbit, and fish fish fish. I love it and miss it. But more I miss being out there pheasant hunting and turkey hunting with my dad. It reminds me of the Indians, I picture an Indian boy out there with his dad making his first kill. Except I'm not an Indian or a boy. But I love being out in God's creation, especially with my dad.

6 comments:

Ann said...

Haha the last two sentences, don't they sound just like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow, this post was really well-written. I felt like I was there. And bless your heart for being so compassionate for your little sleeping one. I just loved this whole post.

Still Learning said...

Great story!

Truth said...

Ah, hope your little one is feeling better. Your hunting memories stirred up memories of fishing with my dad. Thanks!

Tina said...

16 pounds??? that's nothing.
mine's 23!!

*** do you have turkey envy? ***

hehe!! :)

PJ said...

Hunting. Haven't been in a coon's age. We'd go deer hunting, rabbit hunting, squirrel hunting. (and fishing) And it was all to eat. No hunt, no eat. I didn't mind the hunting or the shooting, it was outdoors (love your descriptions!!!) and the game was relatively distant. The part I hated?? Skinning and cleaning!! Yuk. Got my little sister to do that whenever possible!

You bring up old memories! The best kind of writer!!! Great Blog.