Friday, November 9, 2007

Radio

After reading Linda's post about Amy Grant, I got to thinking about how Christian music has changed my life and impacted my relationship with Jesus.

It started I'm thinking back in 1995 or maybe '96, when Nate and Heth sent me a Jars of Clay cd. I'd never heard of them, and at the time I was listening to pop stations on "regular radio." My first reaction after receiving the cd was, "Oh." To begin with, I didn't have a cd player. I was still using cassettes. Secondly, I'd never heard of Jars of Clay. I decided to keep it and traded it in for a tape.

I really wasn't all that impressed my first time listening, mostly because I didn't know any of the songs. But because it was a gift from my brother, I kept trying. After a few days, I started to remember lyrics and found myself singing along. Before I knew it, I was obsessed with Jars of Clay, listening over and over again. I was so excited when they came to Perry for a free concert! Eric and I went, and even sat right near the band at the local Pizza Hut!

From there, it just boomed. I discovered the local Christian radio station, it played all kinds of really good music that paralelled secular bands. I remember taking the 30 Day Challenge. "Listen to our station for 30 days, and we GUARANTEE you won't ever listen to another station again!" Yeah right...

Well, I took the challenge, and they were right! The music was so uplifting and encouraging, there was no going back for me!

I've found 5 different Christian stations here. They range from encouraging talk-shows to good old fashioned hymns (organ included!) to soft and mellow, to heavier stuff, to really heavy sounds-like-they're-belching-in the-mic kinds of stuff. I flip between them all depending on my mood.

One really wonderful thing is that many stations can be listened to online. Two I listen to online include KZZQ and RadioU.

5 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Ann, I am loving listening to radio on line, especially at work. Thanks for the shout-out, by the way. It's really hard to get into music you've never heard before, isn't it. The 30 day challenge "testimony" would be wonderful for that station to hear!

Truth said...

Wow, back when I was making the switch it was 1983. There wasn't so many choices in Christian music. I enjoyed it, but there wasn't much similar in style to what I was accustomed to in the secular music. Over time many Christian artists began expanding and new ones coming in. It was such a blessing when I had so many choices. So glad you have so many stations.

Still Learning said...

I SO AGREE!! I never thought about listening to KZZQ on the internet but I am going to do it today. This big city has only one Contemporary Christain Radio Station that has such a low frequency, it can only be heard on the other side of the city. I was so depressed to learn this. A popular pop station does convert for a few hours on Sunday AM, but we are at church then....I'm still happy they do it for others though! I miss KZZQ (and their mothers night out parties with chocolate and Matthew West concerts) and K-LOVE!!! (and you and your family!)

Still Learning said...

Listening to KLOVE right now...It will help to make my thankyou writing a joy! Thanks - KZZQ is next! Now if I can get it to work in the van!

I now see the possibilty to have an answer emailed back to me. I'll have to add that to my blog.

a response for you....no Mermaid girl does not mind turtle necks and pants under her halloween outfit. She hates to be cold (takes after her mother) It helps that is was about 60 here that night!

a comment to you....today Shark boy wanted to go to your house to play. This brought up a conversation of your moving to a new house. (and how brave you are) SB's biggest concern....will you be able to take your wii?

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Hmmm... you've given me something to think about. I rarely listen to Christian music, unless it's a CD I happen to own. There is a decent Christian rock/alternative station here, but it's hit-or-miss with good songs.

Maybe I should try the "30 day challenge" method...