Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Game Time


Right now I'm in the cold, unfinished basement with Emily in her exersaucer and Ethan sitting next to me on the couch. I've got a ceramic heater going which really warms the room up.

Although Owen is much more into soccer and football, Ethan loves video games. Don't worry, we don't let him play all day every day. As a matter of fact, the only time he really plays is when Owen, my husband or I am down here with him. He's too scared to be in the basement alone.

Super Paper Mario is Ethan's latest favorite. I'm down here helping him. There's a lot of scripting, and even though Ethan's reading is coming along very nicely, he still needs help with the reading.

I wish I could leave it at that. It sounds pretty good, me helping my son read the script on a video game. But that's not all I'm doing.

I've got my laptop open and I've googled Super Paper Mario walk-throughs. I'm helping my son beat the levels by reading aloud the walk-through. This gives us access to all the secret stuff and tells us how to finish each chapter quickly without having to figure it out on our own. At first I was letting him explore on his own before accessing the walk-through, but I discovered he'd get so lost and mixed up that we'd have to start at the beginning of the level in order for the walk-through to work. We both want to see the game completed but don't want to grind through it. So now I just read as we go. It's actually pretty fun. We spend about a half-hour/forty five minutes to finish a section, then head upstairs for a snack.

Okay, Ethan's been exploring in the game on his own and is getting frustrated. He spent all his coins to get access to a blue tube that seems to lead to nowhere. Better check the walk-through!

6 comments:

His Girl said...

this visual image is CRACKING ME UP!!! So funny!

Heth said...

CHEATER!

lol

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I seriously don't understand how gamers ever figure stuff out on their own. I've watched Steven play video games, and they have to do some really strange, obscure things that a normal person would never think to do in order to access new parts of the game. So I totally understand why you'd help him out like that!

And hey, if he's practicing reading while playing this game, all the better!

Still Learning said...

What a GREAT MOM!! Luke would be so jealous! I can't even turn the game on. I did upload some Pokemom games onto a Action Replay.....I know thats cheating...but it made Luke and his friend very happy.

Truth said...

Years ago, before everything was high tech, and with the beginning of Mario, I had to buy a little book to find out some secrets to help my kids. I can't imagine trying to get them through it now.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I think this has endeared you to me even more. Oh, how I miss those days when my son played Mario. Only I always had a baby on my lap by the time he was old enough to play. His dad did all of the detail work of video games. I just love that you're so into it with him. You're a great mom!