Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Just an Observation

I'm listening to Leviticus now. I'm not theological by any means, but I'm just listening, thinking about how BLOODY that tabernacle must have been! I just heard the part where if an Israelite or even the entire nation of Israel sins without realizing it, once they are aware of the sin they must present a bull, the elders must lay their hands on it and then it's sacrificed before the Lord. Then the priest dips his fingers in the blood and sprinkles it on the curtain (I think it's the curtain, I need to check on that). But just think how many times they had to do that! The priests, that must be all they did all day long is remove the innards from animals and burn them and sprinkle blood. A very gory job. Not for someone with a weak stomach (or someone who isn't a Levite~heehee! There's a little theology!). Sorry if you were looking for a deep message, but I just was observing how bloody the inside of the tabernacle must have been. And stinky. Well, except the smell of roasting meat isn't so bad. Anyway, I'll get back to listening. As I grow I'll get deeper and not sound so much like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Okay, I just discovered it's not always a bull, sometimes a goat, and the blood is also sprinkled on the horns of the alter. But with all those Israelites, just imagine how much blood that was! Every day, all day long! Thank goodness we don't have to do that anymore, Jesus took care of it for us. But I got to thinking, if I don't give Jesus a bull or goat or some kind of sin offering when I sin like they did so long ago, what do I give him? My very own heart.

Still Learning said...

There must have been a very good reason I was not created until 1970A.D.!

Truth said...

Don't you think, though, as graphic as the constant slaughter was, that the people thought about sin more? Would make me a little more sick to my stomach and cause me to think BEFORE I commit it. Not so easy to gloss over back then.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Actually, Ann, I appreciate your comments on it precisely because you didn't offer a treatise. I like to hear someone's gut (pardon the pun) reaction to the Bible.It's refreshing. You are not pretentious at all, and that is the kind of faith that will draw people.

Anonymous said...

I have also thought of how much blood there must have been there. And it just makes me think of this whole "blood" thing. God said (His rule) that without the shedding of blood, there could be no remission of sins. In other words, BLOOD=life. And that's still true today. Blood Centers advertise it, and everyone needs it to live...but it's not just our physical life...it's how God decided to define all of life...through blood. (then I think of the Passover Angel seeing the blood smeared over the door frames of the Israelites...) the connections that are made thinking of how deep that connection is to blood....by all of us.