Friday, February 15, 2008

Shepherding A Child's Heart

Ethan and Emily are napping now, and so I thought I'd start this book my sister-in-law introduced to me. It's called Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. I've only read the introduction, and already I'm touched. Page xix (what number is that anyway?) says:

"Proverbs 13:20 says, 'He who walks with the wise becomes wise.' As a wise parent your objective is not simply to discuss, but to demonstrate the freshness and vitality of life lived in integrity toward God and your family. Parenting is shepherding the hearts of your children in the ways of God's wisdom."

I love that. I want to be that, a wise shepherd, loving and kind, for my children's hearts, just like Jesus is for all of us. I've got a lot to learn, and God's got a lot of work to do in me. I'm so thankful He's not done with me yet.

9 comments:

His Girl said...

I have this book in my "to read"pile... you'll have to keep us posted so i know if I should bump it up on the priority list.

Truth said...

Hearts are important to keep in tact. No more important job that the keeper of them.

Still Learning said...

You are that....your children are very blessed to have you both as parents. I'll have to look into this book as well.

P.s. I'd bet that is 19 in Roman Numerals.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Your heart is so sweet and tender. Your children are blessed.

PJ said...

Hey!1 I liked the carrying the bat idea!! (Just kidding) Thanks for dropping by!

PJ said...

And...that sounds like a good book. I'll have to add it to my "to be read" list.

Tina said...

I really want to read that too.


And by the way... no, I didn't get a puppy. :(

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Hi Ann,
Thanks for stopping by and well, Heth recommended two of my favorites.

Shepherding Your Child's Heart will be a book that you will find yourself wanting to read again as your kids grow.

Feminine Appeal is filled with such encouragement and Godly wisdom for us as wives and moms.

Blessings to you...Happy Reading!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Sounds like a great book! Parents or not, we could all use the reminder to walk in the counsel of the wise. Your children are very blessed to have you as a mother.