Sunday, August 5, 2007

Chutes and Ladders

As I was reading blogs, I started thinking about Owen and Ethan, they were watching t.v. and were complaining about being bored. I had told them that as soon as their dad got home from work tonite, we'd all play dominoes or something. I just wanted to read blogs and have a little "break." Well, I was feeling a little guilty, and when Owen told me again that he just wanted to play a game with me, I was delighted and happily turned off the computer. Ethan joined in, and the boys chose Chutes and Ladders. Normally I would groan because this game, like Candy Land, can go on FOREVER.



We let Ethan go first because he is the youngest.



After Ethan, Owen. Then me, then Ethan. Poor Ethan landed on square number 16 which meant he had to slide down to square 6. He took it okay, no fit. Then it was Owen's turn, me, Ethan, Owen, me, Ethan. Ethan was catching up. Then wouldn't you know it, he hit square 16 again. He whined just a bit but moved to 6. I praised him for following the rules, what a good boy, I was so proud of him.



The game continued until we all got to squares up in the 60's and 70's. No one really hit any ladders so it was kind of boring. Soon we were in the 80's, and to my unbelieving eyes, Ethan hit square 87. This meant he had to slide clear down to square 24. He started to cry and said, "NO! I'm NOT moving. I'm going HERE!" and moved his marker all over the board to land on 96. He cried and knocked our markers off the game board, pretty typical for a 5 year old. I just kind of sat there, then gave him two options. He could keep playing with us by following the rules, or he could watch me and Owen play. He cried and asked why we couldn't just let him go where he wanted. I told him how we all have to follow the rules, and that you never know, he might land on a ladder that would help him catch up. Finally he slid down to 24.


Owen's turn, my turn, Ethan's turn. He spun a 4. HE SPUN A 4!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! My boy was being rewarded for hanging in there and following the rules! Spinning a 4 landed him on 28, which was a LADDER that took him allllllllll the way up to 84!!! Believe me, this spin was real. Spins have to go all the way around at least once, and I make the boys keep the spinner flat on the floor so we all can see it and no one can cheat. YAY ETHAN!!!! We clapped and cheered, he was elated!!



Owen's turn, my turn, Ethan's turn. Ethan rolled a 3.



84 plus 3 equals 87. Remember what happens when you land on 87??? You slide. Down to 24. I couldn't do anything but laugh in disbelief.




Well, Ethan had had enough. He grabbed his marker and that spinner and bolted for the kitchen, screaming and crying. He was livid. He said he was NOT going to slide, and that was that. I finally got him to give the spinner back to me and Owen, and he honestly sulked the rest of the game while Owen and I finished it out.



I felt so bad for the little guy. I don't know if I handled it right, I couldn't believe it myself.
I'm not sure if Ethan learned anything from that...all I could think of is I want him to be a good sport at school whether he's winning or losing. He's 5, he's my baby boy, and I WANTED to just let him have it, but I wanted him to understand that he HAS to follow the rules. I don't know if he learned that or not. Anyway, I bet he and Owen don't pick Chutes and Ladders next time!

2 comments:

Heth said...

Poooor Ethan. Seriously, that is some bad luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh, he will want to play again....then it will be your turn to slide back over and over!!

Warning...Remember to take the "Queen Frostine" card out of the Candyland game....or their true feelings will just come spilling out!!!