Thursday, August 2, 2007

Football Season Has Begun

Our small-town lives have gotten pretty busy lately! The boys are in t-ball AND football now. Owen's football league meets every night for two hours for conditioning. It's pretty intense, and he's starting to say he doesn't like it. I don't blame him. Two hours of ANYTHING is a lot for any kid going into second grade.


Soon the conditioning will be over and they'll start practicing with pads and helmets. I think that will get him excited again. I'm still not sure I like my 7 year old son playing tackle football, but Owen really wanted to try it. I remember at the end of the first day of conditioning practice, the coach gathered all the parents and kids together and gave a little pep talk. He concluded it with, "Remember, football is a violent sport. Some kids are going to get hurt. I'll have some first-aid supplies with me, but it would be great if you could bring some too, just so we're covered." I didn't like the sound of that.


Ethan starts flag football next week. I don't know how he'll like it. He liked soccer a lot, so we'll see. As long as he gets a treat after each game he'll be happy!


I'm just thinking about how insane it's going to be with football once school starts. The kids won't have practice every night for two hours anymore, but they will still meet two or three times a week, not including games. And I just found out last night that they "travel." So their games won't all be here, we'll have to drive to other towns for the games. And homework. Yikes! I hope we can juggle all of it! We'll see...

2 comments:

Heth said...

I love the coach's speech. Hilarious.

Anonymous said...

DO NOT TELL LUKE ABOUT THIS!! This mama couldn't handle it! ;-)

One of my co-worker's son just left for the Navy...I was crying just listening to her. These boys grow up waaayy too fast.