Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Coffee

I was just emailing Tracey that I am either too tired or just plain old losing it. I'm home from picking the kids up from school and thought I'd make some coffee. I poured the water in and waited and waited. Our coffee pot is slow, but this felt too slow. I checked and saw that there was no coffee. I had forgotten to turn it on. I hit the button and went back to feeding my wound-up kids a snack.

I could hear the pot gurgling, it was done, so I went over and was all upset because it wasn't making coffee, only hot water. I was thinking, "Great. Now we need a new coffee pot." Then I realized I didn't put any coffee in it. *BONK!*

By the way, how do you make coffee? I don't actually know how to make it, I just put spoonfuls in till it seems right, then turn on the pot. I put so much flavoring in it that I can't really taste the coffee anyway. The directions say, "1 serving (6 oz) = 1 tablespoon, 10 servings = 1/2 measuring cup."

This confuses me, because it didn't come with a measuring cup. Do they mean a half-cup? Like a normal half-cup measuring cup? I thought it meant to use a half of the measuring thingy they gave you in the can. My can did not have one, but I always remembered my mom's cans had them from when I was a kid. I need to know this, yesterday one of my new neighbors stopped by (oh my house was a disaster!) and I didn't dare offer to make coffee because I don't do it right. Our pot is a 12-cup pot. Does that mean I just fill it up to the 10 cup line and add a half a cup of coffee? Sounds pretty good to me, I can add as much vanilla or chocolate to cover up the coffee flavor. But I don't want to scare off my visitors. Tracey, did I ever make coffee for you? Yours always turned out right...

8 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I think every machine is different, so you just have to experiment before neighbors arrive again! Once you get it, you'll have it and never have to wonder. Tomorrow I'm giving you a shout on my site--so stay tuned!

PJ said...

Ditto to Linda...I know how full the coffee thingy needs to be in my pot...but 1/2 cup is approximately right for 10 cups. Try it...then add or subtract for the next pot.

The other day, a guest asked for decaf (sort of ruins the point of coffee in my opinion). I only had already ground decaf (I always use whole bean). So I put it in, hit the "do not grind" button and the water dripped through clear. Oops if you hit "DNG" it goes in the OTHER thingy. Did it again. This time I forgot to hit DNG, it made a grinding noise, but wouldn't make because there was nothing to grind. Finally, I just put the ground coffee in the "to be ground" spot and let it grind again. I guess that's the only way I can make coffee!!! 45 minutes later, my guest has his decaf. He acted appreciative -- I guess waiting that long he would had drunk warm coolaid!

Heth said...

I wing it.

Heth said...

Ask T. She's an expert. She makes really, really good coffee.

Tina said...

I don't use much for measuring. And I'm usually accused of having it too strong... but I REALLY like it that way. I THINK I use 5/8 to 3/4 of a cup for every pot. But sometimes when I'm really tired, I just dump it in until it looks good and make it. Hot. AND. Strong. mmmmm... I want some now.

Anonymous said...

first of all, they are now selling coffee(the already ground in the can) by the strength of the ground coffee......light, medium and dark. Of course it is also priced accordingly...has anyone else noticed this???? Sooo if you have the medium ground, I use 1/4 cup of coffee for every 4 cups of water. So for a pot (12 cups), I use 3/4 cup of coffee. Try to find the amount per 3 to 4 cups that works for you and remember to pay attention to the "darkness" of the coffee. If you grind your own, there is usually a guide with the grinder or the beans.
mom

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

This post absolutely cracked me up! You're so cute!

How do I make coffee? I don't. This is evidenced by the thick layer of dust that has turned my black coffee maker (hidden in a cabinet) gray. I've been debating giving it away because even if a guest asked for some coffee, I don't have any in the house to put into the coffee maker!

But, I'd say that your directions are referring to a typical half-cup measure. I assume it says "half measuring cup" so someone doesn't assume it means half a coffee cup.

But really, this is why I drink tea. With tea you just pour hot water over the little bag. It's easy and doesn't require much thought. (And I think it tastes better, too!)

Still Learning said...

I let my guests make their own!!
My mother in law just laughs at my efforts of coffee soup!

I can never get it right. I should learn though...might be expected of a Pastor's wife!