Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Little Thinker

Ethan asks amazing questions. His little wheels are always turning. The other day he asked me if Jesus slept when he was a baby. I said yes. His response was, "But God doesn't rest!"

Then yesterday he asked if a person has to be married to have a job. I explained that no, you don't have to be married to have a job. Teenagers have jobs and they aren't married. He asked if I had a job when I was a teenager. I said yes, that I worked at McDonald's. He was enthralled and all excited and asked all about it.

Today, Ethan asked me how babies got in the world. I asked if he meant how are babies born, and he said no. He wanted to know how the world got so many people on it. I explained that God created Adam and Eve, and they were married. They had kids. Then their kids got married and had kids, and so on and so on. He asked, "Does that mean brothers and sisters had to get married to each other?"

I was at a loss for words. I was amazed that he could put that together. But I chickened out and said, "Well I don't know! That's a great question. I do know that brothers and sisters are not supposed to get married though." His response was, "Well, maybe God just created more people so that brothers and sisters wouldn't have to marry each other." I just left it at that and said, "That could be. God can do anything." I just wasn't ready to explain it all to him, especially in the 7minute car-ride to school. But it amazed me how he thought all that out.

7 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Oh, he is a smart one, isn't he? I just love it when kids ask intelligent questions, even if I'm not able to answer them. We get some real doozies from our youth sometimes, often pertaining to the mysteries of God. Sometimes we're able to give a real answer, but often we have to just say that we don't know. If God could truly be understand by man, he wouldn't be God.

As for how the world was populated, I happen to think that there were other people created, but we just have the story of Adam and Eve because they were the important first characters! Now, I could be wrong on that, but it's the only thing that truly makes any sense to me.

Heth said...

Sweetie.

Truth said...

I love his questions. I remember some of those same ones and then I'd spend hours wondering myself and trying to figure out an answer.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Well. Someone has birthed an analytical philosopher, hasn't she?? I'm glad my kids weren't this sharp at that age! Sounds like you're such a good mom.

Anonymous said...

Other great questions from Ethan:
Does God have feet?
Dad, why do you have hair coming out of your nose?

Okay, there are a ton more but I can't remember them :)
Eric

Still Learning said...

God will do wonderful things through Ethan!!! He has a beautiful spirit!!

Anonymous said...

That's very insightful for a kid. I bet he'd be able to handle it - that just for a while (while the gene pool was really pure) God said it was ok for brothers and sisters to marry...since that is what actually happened to populate the earth. [And of course it's no longer ok to do that]. It shows what a deep thinker he is to "get" that it must have had to happen that way. :-)