Saturday, January 26, 2008

I'm Going Insane


My boys are having a tough time being in their own bedrooms at night. They've always shared a room with bunkbeds, and my older son, the 8 year old, was ready to have his own room. He's been having an even harder time transitioning than my 5 year old. This is not what is driving me insane.

Today I bought the boys a set of walkie talkies. Nothing fancy, but I thought they'd have fun using them while they were in their own beds in their own rooms at night. My 8 year old understands it. Push the button in. Talk. Let go of the button. My 5 year old?

I don't know how to help him understand. I've demonstrated and demonstrated, I've explained every which way I can think of, and he just doesn't get it. He's mad, near tears, insistant that it's his older brother's fault.

So maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all...

4 comments:

Tracey said...

We have some walkie talkie watches that the boys try to use. It took Ethan quite a while to learn how to do it. I had Trevor go in the other room and Ethan and I teamed up to talk. I would push the button and he had to wait for me to point to him to talk. Eventually he got the hang of it. Good Luck! When you get really frustrated give one to Eric and pretend your Princess Leah (?spelling?) and Han Solo! Or you could just hide one from eric and make silly noises from the other room!!

Truth said...

Don't you hate it when you have a brilliant idea that can fix a situation, and then someone else messes it up? LOL, sounded like a perfect idea to me.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh that's so cute. I predict he'll figure it out any day now.

Still Learning said...

Shark boy is praying for our placement into a small town. I told him he would get a little more freedom and some walkie talkies. One for me and one for him. Now I'm kinda hoping to get a big town and SB into the backyard! I LOVE that it's all Owen's fault!! Us oldest kids get all the blame!