Thursday, January 3, 2008

Moving

I just realized I only have to keep this house clean for 4 more days YEEEHAWWW! I was talking to Patty on the phone last night and we were talking about the move. She said I sounded happy to be moving. I think it's more that I'm happy that I'm not SCARED to move. Last year I was so full of fear. But now I know what to expect. I'm just glad that I'm not wrapped up in anxiety this time.

I'm excited for the boys to have their own rooms. That means no more climbing up into the top bunk to change sheets. They are probably going to miss being together, but I picture them laying in their beds with walkie talkies, chatting like they do before they fall asleep. I'm excited to see what they pick out for colors and bedding. I already have Emily's room ready to go (big sale at Target woohoo!)

The movers come on Tuesday to pack everything up. On Wednesday they load us up, and on Thursday we hit the road. Our stuff will arrive at the new house on Friday, so we'll camp out that first night.

Oh man I remember our first night in this house. Emily was a wee little grasshopper then, just three weeks old. I was trying to breastfeed, I was all emo from wacky hormones and believing I'd never get to go back to my home state ever again.

We had driven pretty far and arrived at the house around 4:30 p.m. The boys ran through every room, all excited. We had no furniture yet, it wasn't arriving until a week later. I settled in a folding chair at the card table and the boys played GameCube with the t.v. resting on the living room floor. Then Eric asked me how I was doing.

I told him I was okay, just really tired. He said, "Okay, well, a co-worker invited us over to watch the football game. Wanna go?"

Ugh. We had pretty much JUST walked in the door. I didn't feel like doing anything except crawling under the covers of the bed that wasn't here yet. I told him I just wasn't up to it. He understood and said he'd be back later.

It's kind of funny when I look back now. But even funnier was that night when we went to bed.

About a month before we moved I thought I was being all smart and used all my Cabela's points to buy a king sized aerobed. Eric brought it to the house when he moved out here a couple weeks before he brought the kids and me. He said he was having trouble with the aerobed. I figured that out when we went to sleep our first night here.

A couple hours after falling asleep I discovered that MY side of the bed didn't stay inflated. Our real bed wasn't going to arrive for another week. Common sense should have told me to just go buy a $20 twin sized air mattress from Wal Mart, but my baby blues took away my common sense. I decided the next morning that we had to buy a new bed NOW.

Eric didn't argue. We didn't have a clue where any furniture/mattress stores were, didn't have a phone book, didn't know anyone, so we did our best to find a store online. We found one and went there to look at mattresses. I think Eric was feeling bad and wanted to make things better for me, so he let me choose the mattress.

I went for the biggest softest fluffiest sink-right-down-in-it plush pillow top I could find. It felt so comfortable after being pregnant and uncomfortable for the last couple months. I didn't do any research, didn't know a thing about beds. And we bought it. And now I HATE it. And, I didn't even think about the fact that the new bed we bought would be delivered well after our existing bed arrived with all the other furniture.

I'm looking forward to our first night in our new house. I know it will be much much better than last time heehee!

7 comments:

His Girl said...

living and learning. there is beauty in experience, isn't there? We've never made a big move since we've been together... pretty much stayed in a 10 mile radius from our childhood homes. the thought of moving is both exhilarating and terrifying. should God ever move us, I'll remember these posts of yours :) thanks!

Truth said...

I am excited for you. I remember when we moved into this house, gosh, 15 years ago. All 5 of my kids slept in the same room in a king-size bed. We had 5 bedrooms so only 2 had to share, but I think it took about a week before the two oldest moved into their own rooms. The 3 youngest continued to share, mostly because they wanted to.

Amen about the bunk beds. I hated them and could never keep them tidy.

Still Learning said...

I am looking forward to pics of the new house and I hope I'm the one to make the visit to your house this summer!

Heth said...

Solution to the pain of making the top bunk: don't.

I'm a wellspring of knowledge, I know. Heck, don't make the bottom one either...

I know, I know. You have to keep it clean to show it but I say just try not making any beds in the whole house. I guarantee you will have a showing THAT day.

Tracey said...

I'm already planning our trip to see Big Bird in my mind! Thank goodness for who ever created internet and webcams!! Like I said before BRING IT ON 2008!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow, like His Girl said, Live and Learn, I guess---but, buying mattresses is so tricky. Some people swear by the fancy expensive ones, others hate them. It's a big ol' dice roll, I think. I hope all goes well in the move. And I love Glenn Beck simply for how he spoke out about Terri Schaivo. That sealed the deal for me.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

You know, your husband is a sweetie for going along with all of that. :-)

I'm glad you're feeling good about this move. We moved a lot when I was a kid, and I usually found it to be very exciting. I didn't think I'd ever really like living in one place for a long time, but here I am, all grown up and living in the same house for almost 9 years!